WE Speak, WE Stand aims to create a community that is actively engaged in the prevention of sexual assault, relationship violence and advocates for the responsible use of alcohol. The goal of the program is to empower bystanders to intervene in high risk situations involving alcohol use, sexual assault and relationship violence. Empowered bystanders make the campus community safer by standing up and speaking out when they witness situations that could potentially harm the health and safety of others.
You can view this slideshow for an introduction to the We Speak We Stand program.
We Speak We Stand is a Wesleyan specific bystander intervention program which is evidence informed and follows best practices. We Speak We Stand was created based on research that indicates that the most effective programming is part of an ongoing ecological framework for change instead of a one-time programming event. The comprehensive We Speak We Stand program includes:
Become an active bystander! Register for one of our We Speak We Stand trainings! Saturday, February 18th, 1-4pm and Saturday, April 1st, 1-4pm Register HERE!
- Comprehensive Training
- We are excited to work with you and change campus culture around sexual violence and high-risk alcohol use. This training helps our community to learn, grow and make a difference. If you are interested in having a Bystander Intervention Training for your student organization, team, house or group, please fill out this form.
- Open campus-wide trainings are held regularly throughout the academic year. Please check this website frequently for information about upcoming trainings.
Wesleyan offers bystander intervention training for faculty and staff as well. Want to learn more about Wesleyan’s community-wide network of empowered bystanders? See the Wesleyan CARES (Community, Action, Responsibility, Empowerment, Service) site.
- Training for Residence Life Staff and Orientation Leaders
- First Year Orientation Performance
- Supplemental Workshops
- Social Marketing Poster Campaign 2015
- Social Marketing Poster Campaign 2014
- Educational Materials
- Alcohol: What You Need to Know booklet
- Sexual Violence Prevention, Response and Healing at Wesleyan booklet
- Assess your barriers to intervening take a moment to answer these questions about the barriers that may prevent you from intervening in a given situation.