Housing/Meal Plan Accommodations

Wesleyan University is a residential campus that requires all students to live on campus throughout their time at the university. Housing/Meal Plan Accommodations will be made for students with documented disabilities. Student's preferences for specific housing will be considered, but may not always be met. Students needing housing accommodations must submit their Request for Housing/Meal Plan Accommodation to the Accessibility Services office and provide supporting documentation using the Disability Provider Form by the appropriate deadlines. Students requesting housing accommodations for allergy or asthma related issues must provide supporting documentation using this Verification Form. Failure to submit the complete information by the deadlines may delay or prevent the college from meeting the request.

A few things to keep in mind:

  • Please refer to the Residential Life website for important dates and deadlines for the room selection process.
  • Students who have received housing/meal plan accommodations in the past must apply each year to be reconsidered.
  • Single rooms based on a students desire to have a "quiet place to study" will be provided only in unusual circumstances. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living under one roof in the residence halls, a single room does not necessarily provide a quieter, more distraction-free space than a standard shared room.

Food Allergies and Dietary Conditions

Serving students with life threatening food allergies, celiac disease, and other dietary conditions is a priority at Wesleyan University. We believe that the ability to dine safely on campus with peers is a significant part of the college experience and we strive to provide this opportunity for all students. Wesleyan University Dining Services provides a wide variety of high quality foods in order to meet individual needs and preferences of students, faculty and staff.  Dining Services is committed to meeting the needs of students with food allergies and celiac disease.  It is recommended that students with food allergies or celiac disease contact Dean Patey in Accessibility Services to discuss their individual needs.

Because students and parents often have questions regarding food safety and anaphylaxis responses, we have provided these FAQs.

Emotional Support Animals (ESA)

Students with disabilities who request to bring an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) as a reasonable accommodation may be permitted to do so, provided that they comply with the ESA Policy. Students who seek to bring an ESA to campus must first contact Accessibility Services (North College, Room 021 or 860-685-5581). Accessibility Services will determine, on a case-by-case basis, and in collaboration with other offices on campus, whether to approve the student's request. In making this determination, Accessibility Services will consider the needs of the student, as well as the impact of the animal on the campus community. Students seeking to have an ESA in undergraduate or graduate housing must submit a request and documentation for review each academic year.

Service Animals

Students with disabilities who require the use of a service animal as an accommodation are encouraged to contact Accessibility Services (North College, Room 021 or 860-685-5581) to ensure that appropriate housing is provided.