Student of Color Coalition Intern Job Description
The Office of Student Activities and Leadership Development is looking for two responsible, resourceful, dedicated students to help fulfill our mission of promoting student involvement, leadership development and to provide valuable student input in our initiatives. The Interns will provide peer assistance and support to Wesleyan's various multi-cultural/ethnic student organizations. In particular, the Interns will offer advocacy and support to student organizations and should have knowledge and a commitment to broader issues of social justice and the intersections of identities, and will work to build bridges between different identity groups.
The Interns will also chair the Student of Color Coalition (SCC). As the chairs, the Interns will coordinate meetings throughout the year with the group. The SCC is a group intended to bring together different student leaders of color in one space to share resources, create collaborative opportunities and promote dialogue.
The Interns will also play an active role in the planning of the Social Justice Leadership Conference and the Edgar Beckham Social Justice Awards.
· Maintain a student organization directory/database and student identity calendar
· Attend a variety of student planning meetings
· Aid student organizations in various capacities such as assistance with event publicity
· Collaborate with the Leadership Intern, the Dwight Greene Intern, and the Queer Community Intern
· Be a liaison between Student of Color groups and the SALD Office
· Perform other similar and related duties as assigned
· Bring creative ideas and energy to the position.
· Sophomore, junior or senior
· Excellent communication skills both oral and written
· Ability to work effectively with diverse student, faculty and staff populations
· Strong organizational abilities and time management skills
· Capacity for discretion and confidentiality when working with students and administrators
· Ability to be creative and innovative
· Demonstrated leadership skills, and self-motivation
· Knowledge and experience with current administrative software: (ie: Word, Excel, google, Internet browsers, etc)
· Ability to work flexible hours (10 hours per week)
· Demonstrate a strong commitment to the student of color community and broader issues of Social Justice
· Must be able to make a full year commitment
This internship offers competitive wages, a flexible schedule with professional expectations, an exciting opportunity for leadership development, and the chance to create progressive change within the Wesleyan community. The Intern will report to the Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development.
Return to Student Employment Opportunities