Contract Information

First and foremost, note that it takes 4-6 weeks to process a contract.  The following are the steps you must follow and information you must know in order to organize an event involving an off-campus artist, performer, or speaker:

  1. Contract Regulations
  2. Inviting Artists, Performers, or Speakers to Campus
  3. Reserving a Venue
  4. Requesting Funds
  5. Negotiations
  6. Wesleyan Contract Request
  7. Payment Process

Contract Regulations

Wesleyan University's administration must authorize any contractual relationship entered into by student groups or individual students. All contract agreements into which student organizations or individual students enter (such as performance contracts, service contracts, etc.) must first be reviewed, approved, and then signed by the Director or Associate Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development (SALD). Contracts funded by the WSA or WSA Concert Committee must be signed by the WSA Office Coordinator.

Only the Director of Usdan University Center, Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development's or WSA Office Coordinator's signature is valid with regard to contract enforcement. Therefore, contracts that bear the signature of a student or an advisor representing the University will not be honored. Contracts above a certain amount must be signed by the Vice President for Administration and Finance. However, they will always first be reviewed by the Office of Student Activities & Leadership Development or the WSA Office Coordinator.

Contracts can be very complex. These are things you should know:

  1. Verbal agreements are almost always considered legally binding.
  2. Written agreements are always considered legally binding.
  3. Any student group holding a musical event or hiring a speaker must supply a contract or request a Wesleyan contract, and have a completed Wesleyan W-9 Form for the performer to the SALD office, in compliance with the regulations pertaining to Wesleyan as a non-profit institution.
  4. READ YOUR CONTRACT IN FULL! If after reviewing a contract you realize that you may have trouble meeting some of its requirements, DO NOT HAVE IT SIGNED! While most parts of a contract are non-negotiable, some parts may be. 
  5. Do not forget, a student should never sign a contract. The contract must be read, approved, and signed by the Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development or WSA Office Coordinator depending on the funding source.

Inviting Artists, Performers, or Speakers to Campus

There is a stack of brochures from agents of speakers, artists, and/or performers in the WSA Office where you can find ideas, addresses and phone numbers of agents. If you can't seem to find the agent you need or what you're looking for, the staff in the Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA) or Student Activities and Leadership Development (SALD) office may be able to help you. Agents are often aware of the clients of other agents and may be able to set you in the right direction.

If the artist, speaker, or performer you are interested in is not one that would be likely to have an agent, there are a variety of ways you might go about getting in touch with them. You may be able to reach them through their place of employment (e.g. a university) or through an organization they are involved with (e.g. a record label). If it is someone who has been published, you can write or call their publisher. If it is a group that has recorded an album, you can write or call their recording company (though they will probably have an agent if they are popular). Many artists/speakers also have websites.

Reserving a Venue

Make sure to reserve your space using Room Request (EMS). You can find the link in your portal. Also, ask the WSA Administrator what your group's smartkey budget number is. You will need to give this number to the SALD staff in order to finalize your reservation of a facility, arrange for equipment, and to ensure, if necessary, that Physical Plant and/or Public Safety support services will be available.

Be sure to confirm your reservation for the facility where you want to hold your event. Call the artist/speaker/performer and confirm the time and date. At the event make sure that members of your group are present to collect admission, prevent eating, drinking, and/or smoking in facilities where it is not permitted, and to keep aisles clear for safety reasons.

For more information about reserving a space, click here.

Requesting Funds

Once a student group has a proposed date, time and place for an event, and knows that the artist/speaker/performer is available to come to Wesleyan at that time, the group can apply to the Student Budget Committee (SBC) or the Concert Committee (CC) for funding, or can seek alternative sources of funding.

  • The SBC needs as much information as possible with regard to your event; you should know the details of your event even before a contract has been made up and signed. When applying for funding, the SBC needs to know all projected costs for the program, including ticketing, public safety charges, custodial services, AV costs, the cost of the speaker or artist, and extraneous charges incurred by the speaker/artist such as transportation, lodging, and food costs. DO NOT COMMIT TO AN ARTIST, SPEAKER OR PERFORMER IF YOU HAVE NOT YET BEEN GRANTED FUNDS FROM THE SBC OR AN ALTERNATIVE SOURCE!
  • After the group has submitted an application for funding, the SBC discusses it and will inform the group if they have received any allocations. This will happen within a week of meeting with the SBC. Once you have received funding and you begin to negotiate a contract, it is important that you stay in close communication with the SBC, the WSA administrator and/or the Office of Student Activities and Leadership Development. All contracts should be sent directly to the WSA Office Coordinator — never to a student box.


Student group leaders are responsible for negotiating contracts with artists, performers, or speakers. You should begin negotiations at least four to six weeks before the event. Please be advised that Wesleyan University's administration MUST supervise any contractual relationship in which the University becomes obligated whether it is from an outside agency or a university contract. You can list your name as the contact person on the contract, but you need the WSA Office Coordinator listed as the reviewing agent or official signer. Please note: Failing to acquire Wesleyan University consent will delay or prevent payment to the artist. We have provided the following questions to assist you with your negotiations.

IMPORTANT CITIZENSHIP INFORMATION: It is important to know an artists/performers/speakers citizenship status during negotiations and prior to signing a contract with them. The easiest was to collect this information is by having the artist complete Wesleyan's W-9. Activity conducted by a Non US Citizen in the US (and subsequent payments made) are highly regulated. Deviation could jeopardize an individual's current visa status and/or future travel to the US, as well as impose immigration and IRS fines and fees on the University.

Regardless of whether the payment is made to an agent or the artist, disclosure of citizenship and corresponding proof of work eligibility of the artist must be submitted to Wesleyan prior to signing a contract. Please contact Christine Rodrigue (x3502) with questions regarding work eligibility requirements for Non US Citizen.

Questions to ask your artist/speaker/performer:

  1. What is their address and social security number or the federal ID number of the organization they are working with? This information is necessary because of IRS regulations pertaining to Wesleyan as a non-profit institution. You will need this information in order to have a check made out to the artist. Artists or performers who are not US Citizens will need to provide proof of work eligibility prior to signing a contract.
  2. Will they need to stay overnight?
  3. How do they plan to get here (car, bus, train, plane)?
  4. Do they have any special dietary needs/restrictions?
  5. Does their contract contain any clauses or riders for which you will have to make arrangements ahead of time (such as ordering food, sound or light equipment)?

Wesleyan Contract Request

If the artist/speaker/performer does not have a contract of their own, you will need a Wesleyan Contract drawn up. To do so, you must complete the Contract Request Form. You also need to have your speaker complete Wesleyan's W-9 form that fits their tax filing status. Below are the appropriate forms. Complete the paperwork and then schedule an appointment with a staff member in the Office of Student Activities at least four to six weeks before your event.

Contract Request Form
W-9 for Individuals
W-9 for Businesses

Payment Process

To request payment for an artist, speaker, or performer you must complete a Financial Request Form and attach the signed contract. Speakers and performers may now scan and email, or fax their contract. Contracts should be faxed to 860.685.2461 or emailed to the event coordinator. Both the contract and Financial Request Form should be submitted to the WSA Office. After both documents have been reviewed and funds have been verified, the forms will be processed for payment. It normally takes 7 to 14 business days for a university check to be cut or longer if further information is needed.

To request payment for a vendor, rental facility, etc., submit the original invoice along with a Financial Request Form to WSA Office.

Ticketing Options

Please note this free service for ticketing here.