Hosting a Social Event
Social events/parties occurring in University buildings or on University grounds must be registered with the Office of Student Activities and Leadership Development if the following apply to the event:
- There will be 50 or more people in attendance, or there is no provision for limiting attendance to fewer than 50 people, and any of the following apply:
- No formal program or agenda is planned.
- Admission will be charged.
- The event will be open to any persons who are not Wesleyan students.
Specifically excluded from this policy are concerts with fixed seating, lectures, art show openings, meals (unless it is an outdoor BBQ), closed organizational meetings and events designed specifically for educational rather than social purposes.
You will need to make sure you do the following to ensure that you have a successful event:
- Become Host Trained - Host training is an online course through the Moodle system which helps you to understand your legal responsibilities and Wesleyan policy regarding social events as well as the resources available to you to help you have a successful event. You can enroll in the course by emailing us. You may also view the host training presentation here.
- Reserve the space for the event. SALD staff can assist you in identifying the appropriate person to contact depending on the location of your event. Many spaces are available to reserve through the new online reservation system in your portfolio.
- Request any set-up needs such as reserving tables, chairs, staging and/ or electrical support if needed at least 5 business days in advance. To do so, please contact the Office of Student Activities & Leadership Development.
- Submit the Social Event Registration Form no later than 1pm on the Thursday prior to events occurring that Friday or later. Events which are requesting Event Staff or need extra furniture, AV equipment, etc. must be registered by Tuesday at 1pm for events occurring that Friday or later.
To view the full Social Event Policy, click here.