Career Outlook: Next Steps After You're Selected
Congratulations! You have just been selected as a Career Outlook participant. The following action steps will help you make the best of your experience:
1. Contact Your Sponsor.
The CRC counselor who recently contacted you, regarding your Career Outlook participation, should have given you contact information for your Sponsor. Within a week of being contacted by the CRC, you should call or e-mail your sponsor and arrange a convenient time to talk. If you call them and are unable to speak directly with them, you should leave your name, remind them that you are a Wesleyan University Career Outlook participant and leave a phone number as well as days and times you can be reached.
During your introductory phone call, you should discuss with your Sponsor a date or range of dates and times for the job shadow. Obtain clear directions to your Sponsor’s organization as well as designate a specific location and a time to meet your Sponsor on the first day.
2. Prepare for your Career Outlook opportunity.
- Do a self-assessment. Think about your current skills, your interests, your strengths, and potential career goals.
- Review the sponsor organization’s Web site. Familiarize yourself with the organizational history, products or services provided, current news and careers offered. More information on companies and organizations can be found in our Resource Library or on CareerSearch.
- Prepare a list of questions for your Sponsor. Good questions can be found on our Web site in our Networking section.
- Select proper attire for your worksite. For information on work clothes, see the Etiquette and Attire section of our Web site. If you have any questions about appropriate attire, you can ask your Sponsor or a CRC counselor.
3. Make the Best of your Career Outlook Experience.
- Bring a pen and notebook to record notes. You may wish to collect names and contact information for future networking, build a list and description of duties you may be assigned during your Career Outlook experience, or take notes on responses to questions you ask your Sponsor.
- Arrive at your site approximately ten minutes early. Be sure to take into account, traffic and other delays.
- Greet your Sponsor with a handshake. First impressions count!
- Build a solid networking experience. At the end of the Experience, thank the Sponsor for the opportunity to shadow him or her and ask if it would be possible to keep in touch
4. After the Career Outlook experience:
- Send a Thank You letter. In this letter, you can thank them for the opportunity, tell them what you have gained from the experience, and explain how they have helped you with your career exploration.
- Add the Career Outlook Experience to your resume.
- Complete the Career Outlook Evaluation. We will ask you to complete an on-line evaluation after the experience. Your evaluation will help us review your Career Outlook experience and to continue to build the best experiences for Wes students.
Questions? Contact Anne Santaniello, Assistant Director, email@example.com.