The Rebecca Friendly ’11 Internship Endowment Fund
Deadline: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 by 11:59p.m. ONLINE through MyCC
Description of the Internship Endowment Fund
Rebecca Friendly ’11 has established the Rebecca Friendly ’11 Internship Endowment to provide financial assistance to Wesleyan students interested in pursuing internships in environmental studies.
- A stipend may be applied toward an internship in the area of environmental studies.
- The recipient shall be selected by the College of the Environment (COE) and the Wesleyan Career Center.
- The internship should be full-time for a minimum of 8 weeks during the summer or for less than 8 weeks during winter break.
- The internship should provide students with research opportunities and real world experience (e.g., with businesses, governmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, etc.).
- Undergraduate students in good standing who are rising sophomores, juniors or seniors by the start date of the internship and are receiving need-based financial aid at the time they apply for the internship.
- Demonstrated interest in the environment.
- Preference to be given to Government majors with an Environmental Studies Linked Major or an Environmental Studies Certificate Program (or to students intending to major in Government with an Environmental Studies Linked Major or Environmental Studies Certificate Program)
- Strength of faculty/staff references.
Applicants must present the following and submit applications via MyCC by the deadline:
- a one to three-page written proposal explaining how the internship will (a) enhance the applicant’s Wesleyan education and (b) enable the applicant to gain new skills and to test his/her areas of career interest
- a resume
- an unofficial transcript
- a detailed budget outlining the expected expenses for the duration of the internship
- a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or faculty advisor
Criteria for selection
The Selection Committee, comprised of faculty members and a staff member from the Wesleyan Career Center, will evaluate applications on the basis of the following:
- the opportunity presented to enhance the Wesleyan educational experience, to gain new skills, and to test or broaden areas of career interest
- the feasibility of the outlined budget
- acknowledgment from a potential employer/sponsor of a defined experience/internship
A student may receive a Rebecca Friendly Internship grant only once.
At the end of the internship, the holder will be expected to:
- submit to the selection committee a brief report which summarizes the internship experience and links the internship with the holder’s educational and career goals.
- deliver a brief presentation to the Wesleyan community through the Career Center, COE or major department whereby the student reports on the internship to interested students and answers questions.
A stipend of approximately $3,000 is available to the selected recipient.
Note: Wesleyan University does not make any determination on the taxability of these awards. Please consult your tax advisor to determine your tax status and liability. International students should refer to the Financial Aid Web site for details on their tax status.