Mens Ice Hockey

Elliott Vorel '17 Ups Point Scoring Streak to 7 Games with Tying Goal vs. WIT, 2 Assists vs. SRU

Elliott Vorel '17 (#9, main photo) took a lead pass from Jaren Taenaka '16 and wristed home a rising shot from the slot with 15 minutes remaining in the third period to even the score between the Cardinals and the visiting Wentworth Institute Leopards at 2-2. The score stayed unchanged over the final 20 minutes of the contest Sat., Nov. 30, including a five-minute overtime.  For Vorel, it was his team-leading seventh goal of the year to go along with seven assists for 14 points.  He now has scored at least one point in each of his six collegiate contests.

Wesleyan had gotten on the board first at 8:53 of the opening period when Alex Carlacci '16 snapped off a rising shot from the left circle that hit the middle of the twine behind the Wentworth keeper.  Keith Buehler '14 set up the play with a pass to Carlacci.

The Leopards tied the score three minutes into the second period was the Leopards finished off a scramble in front of Cardinal netminder Dawson Springings '17.  With three minutes left in the second stanza, Wentworth grabbed the lead as a slapping shot from the top of the left circle hit the right pad of Springings but continued into the left corner of the goal for a 2-1 margin for the visitors.

Shots barely favored Wentworth, 22-20, as both goalies were sharp on the day, stopping some dangerous attempts.  Wentworth controlled the opening four minutes of the extra frame, getting off three near winners, only to be thwarted by Springings.  In the final minute, Wesleyan mounted some serious pressure on the Wentworth net but two good saves preserved the tie, the third in the 15-game series between the teams.  Wesleyan holds a 7-5-3 overall series lead.

Wesleyan was back on the ice Sun., Dec. 1, hosting Salve Regina in another non-league contest.  Vorel assisted on a pair of goals, improving his NESCAC-leading stats to seven goals and nine assists, while picking up a scoring point in his seventh straight contest.  Leading the attack in the 6-2 victory was James Kline '17 (#25, photo insert upper left) with two goals and an assist. He got the Cardinals on the board at 6:27 of the first period, redirecting a Vorel center pass into the net on the power play as Weseyan had a two-man advantage.  Just 34 second later, Carlacci put in another rising wrister from the slot before the power play had expired to make it 2-0.  Connor Ryan '15 made it 3-0 before the end of the period after the forechecking of Robby Harbison '17 behind the Salve net got him the puck for a centering pass that eventually found its way to Terence Durkin '16.  Durkin passed across the top of the zone to Ryan for a quick one-timer.  After the Seahawks scored early in the second, goals by Buehler and Kline late in the frame upped the margin to 5-1.  Taenaka made it 6-1 late in the third before Salve got the final tally.  Wesleyan stayed perfect vs. Salve, now 3-0 all-time.  In the Cardinal net, Nolan Daley '16 collected 34 saves in a strong day's work.

Wesleyan closes out the first semester with its fourth straight non-conference contest, hosting Hobart Sat., Dec. 7 in the first meeting of the squads in nine years.