Field Hockey

Averill Roberto '13 Ties Two Field Hockey Records in 5-1 NESCAC Win at Bates before Cardinals Add Triumphs over Colby, UMD & Babson

Averill Roberto '13 (#8, photo) scored four straight goals in the second half to turn a 1-0 lead for Wesleyan into a 5-1 victory over host Bates in a NESCAC matchup Sat., Oct. 6.  With her four goals as well as an assist on the go-ahead goal in the first half, Roberto tied a pair of Wesleyan records.  She equalled the mark for goals in a game, last accomplished by Morgan McCauley in 2010, as well as the standard for points in a game (9), also done most recently by McCauley.  To read an article about Roberto which appears on a local Darien, Conn. (her hometown) newspaper website, please click < here >.

Wesleyan (4-4, 3-3 NESCAC) scored in the eighth minute of the game for a quick lead, as Ashley McLaren '13 converted a flawlessly executed penalty corner with a big hit, assisted by Vanessa Block and Roberto on the play.

The score remained at 1-0 until the 10th minute of the second half, when Blair Ingraham '14 set up Roberto's first tally, dribbling down the sideline, angling in and centering the ball to Roberto from the end line for a 2-0 Wesleyan advantage.

McLaren set up Wesleyan's third goal at 52:16, driving into the circle uncontested and finding Roberto at the top of the arc for a rocket shot into the far left corner of Bates' goal. Eight minutes later, McLaren and Roberto teamed up again, with McLaren dribbling through Bates defenders to again set up Roberto, for a 4-0 lead with 9:49 left in the game.

Just 29 seconds later, Roberto scored her fourth straight on another penalty corner play, assisted by Ingraham and Taylor Wells '14.

Bates got on the board in the 67th minute on a penalty stroke.

Goalkeeper Tori Redding '13 made three saves, as the Cardinals outshot the Bobcats 27-5 and held a 15-3 advantage in penalty corners.  Wesleyan posted its seventh win in a row over the Babcats while raising its all-time mark vs. Bates to 11-2.

Wesleyan played its next game at Colby Sun., Oct. 7 to wrap up its NESCAC weekend in Maine.  Wesleyan erased a 1-0 first-half deficit by scoring three straight markers to move ahead, 3-1, on Roberto's goal 14 minutes into the second half.  Colby narrowed the difference to 3-2 with 6:16 to play, but a penalty-corner conversion by Wells with 4:47 left sealed the 4-2 Wesleyan win.  Wells finished the game with a goal and two assists.  Roberto's tally, which proved to be the game-winner, was her team-leading seventh of the season.  Redding collected five saves as Wesleyan dominated play once again with a 30-11 margin in total shots.  Wesleyan now stands 4-3 in NESCAC action.

The Cardinals moved out of conference for their next game, hosting UMass Dartmouth Thurs., Oct. 11.  Wesleyan outshot visiting UMass 18-3 for the contest and netted each of its three goals in the first half, two by Taryn Murray '13 after McLaren started things off, to post a 3-0 win.  The teams have met each of the last three seasons and Wesleyan has proven victorious in all three, outscoring the Corsairs by a 12-2 margin.  UMass came into the game 7-0 in Little East play as a co-leader in its conference.  Wesleyan remained out-of-conference for its next encounter, traveling to Babson for a game Sun., Oct. 14.  Wesleyan knocked off its second straight conference leader with a 3-1 conquering of the Beavers.  Babson is 5-0 in NEWMAC play.

McLaren got credit for the game-winner vs. UMass just 3:21 into the contest, putting home a blast from just inside the circle at a slight angle from the left after a penalty corner.  Wells started the corner, which was stick-stopped by Roberto and left for Vanessa Block '15, who sent a pass to the left for McLaren.  McLaren ended the play with her sixth goal of the season. 

Murray got the next two markers, upping her season total to five, the first unassisted as she moved past a pair of UMass defenders into the circle and beat the Corsair keeper one-on-one to the goalie's right.  That came 12:28 into the game.  Roberto sent the ball to Murray through midfield after Roberto got control of a good outlet pass by Cailtin Majewski '16.

The final goal came just 14 seconds before halftime with several Cardinals buzzing around in front of the Corsair net.  Amber Bruckner '14 got the ball to the right post for a waiting Murray to poke home for the 3-0 lead at intermission.

Redding stopped two shots in the Cardinal net to pick up her third shutout of the season.  Wesleyan has now won six of its last seven games following an 0-3 start to stand 6-4 overall.

At Babson, a pair of strong plays by Wells and Ingraham prevented clears by Babson from reaching their targets and each fired home an unassusted goal, Wells in the 16th minute for a 1-0 lead and Ingraham in the 48th minute for a 3-0 lead.  Just a minute and a half before Ingraham's marker, Roberto netted her team-leading eighth goal off a pass from Murray for a 2-0 Cardinal advantage.  Babson averted a shutout by converting a penalty stroke with 6:19 to play.  Otherwise, Redding stopped the four shots on net by the Beavers as Wesleyan enjoyed a 15-7 margin in shots.

Wesleyan will host Conn. College Wed., Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. in its next game, an important NESCAC matchup.  The game will be webcast and can be viewed by clicking < here >.