Field Hockey

Taryn Murray '13 Scores Twice, Tori Redding '13 Posts 6th Shutout as Field Hockey Downs Conn, But Season Ends on Losses to Amherst & Trinity

Breaking through for four goals in the second half, two from Taryn Murray '13 (#16, main photo), including the opening goal in the 39th minute for the game-winner, the Cardinals picked up a valuable 4-0 NESCAC win at Conn. College Thurs., Oct. 20.  Running its win streak to five games, Wesleyan has outscored its last five foes by a combined 23-1 count in raising its overall mark to 8-4.  The Cardinal are now assured of their third winning season in a row and an appearance in the NESCAC playoffs with a 4-4 conference mark.

Goaltender Tori Redding '13 (#60, photo upper left by Scott Porter) turned aside six Camel shots in posting her sixth shutout of the season, four of those in the last five outings.  She has equaled the program record for shutouts in a season set initiially by Carol McCrae during the 1979 season, performed again by McCrae in 1980, and matched by Taryn Hutchins-Cabibi in 1997. 

After Murray opening the scoring at Conn off a corner situation with assists to Liz Chabot '12 and Morgan McCauley '12, Chabot made ot 2-0 with an unassisted tally in the 50th minute.  Averill Roberto '13 poked home the Cardinals' third goal in the 66th minute, assisted by Blair Ingraham '14, and then assisted on Murray's second goal of the game in the final minute, her fifth of the year.

Next up was a Little Three battle at Amherst Sat., Oct. 22.  A win over the Lord Jeffs would would have kept the Cardinals' hopes of a first-round home game in the NESCAC tournament alive, but a pair of first-half tallies by the homestanders locked up the 2-0 win for Amherst.  Redding was credited with six saves in the contest as the Cardinals outshot its host, 19-14, and had 12 corners to eight by Amherst.

Wesleyan concluded the regular season against Trinity, and fell, 2-1, as the Bantams broke a 1-1 tie with 11:04 left in the second half.  Chabot netted the Cardinals' goal on a breakaway after stripping the ball from a Trinity defender on the left side in the 18th minute.  Trinity had converted a penalty corner in the fourth minute.  Its game-winner also came off a penalty corner.  Wesleyan held a 10-5 edge in shots.

As the seventh seed in the NESCAC tournament, Wesleyan headed back to Amherst for its second battle against the Lord Jeffs in a week, taking on its Little Three rival in the first round Sat., Oct. 29.  Amherst again scored a pair of first-half goals and went on for a 3-1 victory.  Wesleyan's goal came from Murray in the 45th minute but not before the Lord Jeffs has assumed a 3-0 edge six minutes into the second half.  The Cardinals staged a tremendous surge in the closing 29 minutes, holding Amherst without a shot and finishing the period with a 10-1 shot margin.  But the Amherst keeper made five second-half stops to help Amherst hold its margin.  Wesleyan also had an 8-1 advantage in corners over the final 35 minutes.  Redding had nine saves in the game, all in the first half.

McCauley finished as the team's high scorer with 10 goals and five assists for 25 points while Chabot was second with nine goals and six assists for 24.  The team's final overall record was 8-7.