Men's Basketball

Jason Mendell '12 Nets 21 as Cards Roll Past Framingham St. Following Double OT Setback at Baruch

Shasha Brown '13 (#5, photo insert upper right) made a layup 5:15 into the first half to break a 9-9 tie and the remaining 35:45 was controlled by the Cardinals en route to a 71-54 road victory over Framingham St. Tues., Nov. 30, in the first meeting between the teams in 20 years.  Wesleyan is now 3-0 all-time vs. the Rams.

Leading the Wesleyan attack for the second straight game was Jason Mendell '12 (#34, main photo) as he connected for 21 points, making 3-of-4 from behind the arc and 8-of-11 shots from the floor overall.  He also grabbed a game-high 10 board to post his third career double-double and had a pair of assists and two steals as well.

After taking the lead, Wesleyan methodically pulled away from its host for a 12-point lead at halftime, 38-26.  A 19-6 run to open the second half gave the Cardinals a 25-point bulge, 57-32, with 13:47 remaining.  Mendell had seven points with Brown, Mike Callaghan '13 and Glen Thomas '14 all contributing four points during the decisive burst.  Thomas ended the game with a strong all-around effort as he had 10 points and nine rebounds.  Wesleyan's lead never fell below 17 points the rest of the way and peaked at 26, 61-35, with 10:45 to go.

Wesleyan is back on the home court for its next game, hosting in-state foe Albertus Magnus Thurs, Dec 2.

Fighting an uphill battle from the opening tip in its game at Baruch Sat., Nov. 27, Wesleyan got 25 points from Mendell, including the team's final four points in regulation, to recover from a 13-point halftime deficit and force its inaugural road game of the season into overtime.  The Cardinals took their first lead of the game, 68-66, when Callaghan, who scored 11 points along with 10 rebounds for a double-double, hit a layup to begin overtime.  Each team scored just four points in the extra five-minute period, bringing up a second overtime with the score knotted at 70-70.

Baruch netted seven straight points in just 1:09 to start the second extra stanza and never let the Cardinals get closer than five in securing the 92-81 double-overtime triumph in the first-ever meeting of the squads. 

After jumping to a quick 5-0 lead to begin the contest, Baruch led by three to 13 points in the first half with the halftime margin of 37-24 matching the game's largest difference.  Wesleyan took several runs at the Bearcats in the second period, using a 16-6 stretch to open the second half to narrow the gap to 43-40.  Mendell had five points while Brown had four points and two assists during the span.  Brown finished with 19 points and a game-high seven assists.  Though Baruch pushed the lead back to 10 at 64-54 with 4:15 to go in regulation, a 12-2 finish by the Cardinals sent the game into overtime at 66-66.  Mendell had a pair of three-pointers and the game-tying free throw with :35 left to trigger the last burst.  Derick Beresford '13 started the run with trey and Brown also had a basket.

(Photos courtesy of